"But war, in a good cause, is not the greatest evil which a nation can suffer. War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. When a people are used as mere human instruments for firing cannon or thrusting bayonets, in the service and for the selfish purposes of a master, such war degrades a people. A war to protect other human beings against tyrannical injustice – a war to give victory to their own ideas of right and good, and which is their own war, carried on for an honest purpose by their free choice – is often the means of their regeneration. A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. As long as justice and injustice have not terminated their ever-renewing fight for ascendancy in the affairs of mankind, human beings must be willing, when need is, to do battle for the one against the other."

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Yes, I'm at it again

Those of you who know me are no doubt wondering where I manage to find the free time spew forth in not just one, but two blogs. Those of you who don't know me . . . soon will. In a different part of cyberspace I mixed geopolitical ramblings with updates on my own life and random humorous videos/pictures/whatever links I could Google that I thought might amuse others or at least confirm in their minds that yes, I'm still crazy. But not everyone went for the geosocioeconomopolitico stuff, and I felt a little schizo posting a link to Christopher Walken asking for more cowbell in one paragraph and then complaining about the latest outburst from Howard Dean in the next. Thus, no more. This blog will be entirely devoted to my thoughts on the world at large, and my other blog will remain as it was, incoherent title and all. And if, in the course of these ramblings, this shadow has offended, too frigging bad, it's a free country and free Internet (unless you're in China) and I'll say whatever the hell I want. But I will back it up as best I can, because I can't stand those on both sides of the aisle who are all rage and emotion and no research or thought process. I'll say what I think and why I think it. Whether the evidence is convincing, I leave up to you. Whether you agree or not, I leave up to you. But, agree or disagree, tell me what you think! Leave comments! This not only keeps me intellectually honest but gives me a warm fuzzy that people are actually reading this! And warm fuzzies are so warm and fuzzy. Like a fuzzy navel, only without the umbilical. And I'm done.

1 comment:

Ammianus Marcellinus said...

Like the blog, like the format, but the name? Are we really at a point in history where we should be compared to 300 Spartans (and their thousand plus slaves) facing down the Persian horde? At the very least we could be something like Pickett's ChargeUSA or AthensbeforePericlesUSA... maybe even something as simple as Anakin-before-the-third-movieUSA. Give us some credit.